Finally finished 🙂 A tad wrinkly, but finished. The jacket was far more complex than I thought it would be, partially through my fault. I’m not sure why, but when searching for patterns, pockets were my biggest concern. What I should’ve been worried about was the collar. My pattern didn’t have a collar, but I cockily presumed it would be a piece of cake to add one. Wrong. It took the better part of a day to draft and try to insert one. (Even still, it came out rather lopsided)
But overall, I think it turned out pretty close to my inspiration suit. It’s a shame I didn’t finish it sooner; with spring right around the corner the suit is just a bit stifling (I’m astonished at how warm tweed is). I’m glad though to have it finally finished. What bogged me down more than anything else was the details; I can sew an entire dress and then balk at hemming it. But I did finish, and now I can start on some badly needed clothing alterations.
Whew, between spring cleaning and my fear of buttonholes, progress has been rather slow on the jacket, so it was an interesting diversion to try to figure out how to make a belt for the ensemble. I’m afraid it isn’t very authentic or precise; I had a tough time finding a pattern to suit my needs, so one day at the store I gathered possible materials and just used one of my belts for a model.
A few slightly glued fingers later, I ended up with this –
It’s a tight affair, getting the belt through the buckle, but that will hopefully loosen up soon. I also need to put a loop for the belt end to go through. But overall, I think it turned out fairly well.
Next up, buttonholes (cringe) ….
As somewhat tedious work is ensuing on the jacket (I’m experimenting a lot, to see how reasonably close I can get to the picture) I’ve taken comfort of late in little pipe dreams; sewing fancies that I would gladly love to try. And since their coming into being depends on so many variables that they may never happen, I still think they deserve a fixed position. So, if you would care to pull up a comfy chair and a mug of hot chocolate and join me 🙂 …
A practical option, that I’ve been thinking a lot of is a knitted sweater. I could probably pull it off, if I could grab hold of bucket loads of patience.And then there’s this dress. I don’t know how I would recreate it, but it’s just so pretty. I like the hat too. And, something I’ve been wanting to do for a while, a quilt. I’ve made small ones before, but never a ‘real’ put-on-a-bed quilt. If I started now, I could probably have it ready for next winter! 🙂 My favorite square is the top left. (all images via Etsy and Pinterest)
But these really are all pipe dreams, as I have many more practical and necessary things to finish – altering a skirt and stretching my pattern by making a pair of summer shorts are all up there. But, it does feel good to sort out and organize imaginary projects; after all, they just might materialize!
Well, I must get back to figuring out collars and buttonholes and belts. I’m very glad that I finished the test run, it made me think of a lot of things I need to rework. I’m getting so excited about finally finishing the suit!
It’s done!! One half of my suit is finished! 😀
Everything went fairly well, except that I yo-yoed back and forth on the size. It was too small at first, but then I overcompensated. My final solution was adding little darts to the back to get it just right.
I just really love it. The tweed is nice and warm, and though it’s a bit more of an A-line than my inspiration, I think it will work out fine with the jacket. The lining may be my favorite part. After I got the tweed, I switched from navy to brown, and I do think it works better.
Well, on to what I’m really nervous about, the jacket. I think the sleeves are what worry me the most; mainly for the same reason I don’t like doing eye makeup – I have to get them to look the same. But, I figure a test mock up will help, hopefully. In the meantime, I have a nice new skirt to get some wear out of!
First off, my raring get up and go start to the suit project was somewhat squashed by a very long and unexpected trip to Michigan (brrr) but the good news is, along the way I was able to get various and sundry items I needed for the suit, including a zipper. Ah yes. The zipper. While reading through the pattern, I was a little perplexed by the instructions; it said to use a ‘slide fastener’. I had never heard of that term, and it took me a while before resorting to google, which, much to my relief, assured me was just a zipper. I have a feeling that’s only the first of surprises the pattern holds for me.
This all leads up to today; the skirt just needs a couple more seams and before mentioned zipper, and some finishing, but I am thankful that my least favorite part, the cutting, is over. Sadly, I already need another seam ripper (I lost mine quite a while back). I was naïve enough to think I could get away without one, but already, the very first day and I had to seam rip with my big scissors 😦 I’m hoping to have the skirt finished next week, if I refrain from haphazardly charging through seams, that is.